Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Economic Discussion Principles

This is the summary of the economic discussion principles:

  • Aligning incentives in the health care system to benefit the patient
  • Coordination of system and HIT
  • Fueling innovation
  • Who pays for health reform vs. who is able to reap the benefit
  • Covering everyone with minimal standard
  • Overcoming vested (sometimes private org.) interest for public good
  • Understanding how public-private investments
  • How can industry organizations balance the investment vs. return, business
    model, with attaining the maximum benefit for patients
  • Accepting personal responsibility requires understanding the system

We wanted to get more into employer-based coverage and mobile coverage as a means for improving access.

What would you like to add to these principles?

1 comment:

  1. Not long ago I visited a Chiropractor due to my severe back pain. I was charged $880 and had to pay out of pocket because the Dr. was out of my insurance network and this would consider part of my deductable. $65 for bending my knee and push for 1 minute, $80 for consultation briefly told me to watch my diet, some other charges are for 15-minute ultra-sound treatment, running some electrical current through my back, etc. Nothing helped the pain from those treatments. I also saw a bill item from the hospital for chemotherapy while the patient was having blood transfusion. My point is that we need better oversight for cost control, and have a way for patients to provide feedback or challenges for the charges. After all, after struggling to live, the patients still need to face the provider's billing department and sometimes the collecting agency's harassements.

    ReplyDelete